Friday, August 24, 2007

Commencement

Four weeks after I embarked on this strange trip, I walked out of the doors to the Athletes' Performance facility one final time. I will be in Baltimore less than 24 hours from now.

If this post is about the end of my trip, why did I name it "commencement"? Any stuffy college president can recite that the end of the college experience is really the beginning of something greater. Consider this post an extended simile. I've always looked at my trip to Athletes' Performance as an opportunity to change how I think and act about training and nutrition. In six weeks, I might be a varsity baseball player or Coach Mrowka may kick me to the curb. Regardless, I have the tools to live optimally. If I can maintain that lifestyle, the money spent here will be well worth it.

After my morning workout, I met with Steve (the nutritionist). He revealed that I have gained about 6 pounds of lean muscle and I've lost about 4 pounds of fat. My actual weight is trickier to measure; I weighed in at 208 and 211 at various times today, up from 205 and near our goal of 210-215. Steve also commented on my diet. He put me on a 4400 calorie diet when I arrived in late July. That diet is easy to execute during the week when the AP chefs are preparing meals, but much harder to follow on the weekends. My biggest problem has been eating far less than what he recommended. I'm sure my parents would be surprised by that result, if they even remember me. I usually eat plenty, but to maintain my weight with a rigorous workout regimen, I need tons of food. Steve gave me some tips on what to consume before, during and after workouts and competitions and easy meals to prepare at school.

Athletes' Performance allows clients to purchase EAS products at a deep discount. I walked away with a big jars each of creatine and Muscle Armour as well as some Myoplex packets. Steve gave me an order sheet so I can order more. He also gave me some Pure Encapsulations vitamins. These are supposed to be high quality vitamins that only doctors can purchase. I can also purchase these later through Athletes' Performance at a discount.

I am armed with the means to succeed. I have my vitamins and supplements from Steve. Paul, the guy who coordinates the VO2 testing and ESD program, gave me a cardio program for the next several weeks. Masa gave me a workout protocol with the assurance that he'll send me the rest of the regimen once I complete the current phase. If I fail, it will be because I lack talent, not because of my work ethic or because I didn't maximize my ability.

I've been touched by many people this month, many of whom I consider friends. Many thanks for Joe and John for coaching me gratis, Jeremy and Scott for treating my elbow, Masa, Jaclyn, Steve, Debbie and all of the AP chefs, Carl, Andria and Mary, Paul, Darryl and Graham at ASU baseball.

I've worked out with some amazing people, too. A certain camaraderie is built when many people share common goals and endure physical and mental fatigue together to achieve it. I've made friends in Caspar, Felix, Fred, Michael, Cameron, Will, Victor, Matt, Scott, Jeff, Charles, Chase, James and Koren.

I will in Baltimore until Friday and I look forward to seeing my old friends who haven't already departed for college.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

2 comments:

Charlie i Barb Brennecke said...

Uncle Charlie sez: Go for it Ben! No matter what the talent load, the enthusiam and dedication load will take you farther. Dedication and persiration will sustain where talent and oppurtunity fail!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.