Friday, August 3, 2007

Just Another Day in Paradise

I am reminded of Phil Vassar's "Just Another Day in Paradise":

Yeah it's ok. It's so nice.
It's just another day in paradise.
Well, there's no place that
I'd rather be

And who said country music had to be pessimistic? At any rate, today was another day of hard work, but there's no place I'd rather be.

Today's workout was almost identical to Tuesdays. Of the four workout days (Wednesdays and Saturdays are regeneration days), Monday and Thursday workouts are similar and Tuesdays are paired with Fridays. So today, I was finally doing something familiar.

The AM movement prep workout wasn't any to write home about (so I won't), except that ESPN brought a film crew for the second straight day to film Brady Quinn and Larry Johnson working out. Watching Quinn and L.J. throw weight around is a constant reminder of why I'm not a pro athlete. As I passed by Quinn, I heard him say (and I'm paraphrasing): "Tiger's probably better known world-wide, but I'm from Cleveland so I'll take LeBron". I assume he was referencing the final of the Sportscenter segment Who Cares? (sic). I reminded the crew as I was leaving today, "Didn't Schlereth say that Quinn should get his butt in camp on NFL Live?" I guess Brady takes no revenge against the network.

I advanced to the 90-foot stage of my throwing program today. I still feel some discomfort but my forearm didn't spasm on me, which is its own mini-victory (and perhaps another reason that Jeremy will continue his torture chamber).

The PM workout was similar to Tuesday's and we're making progress. I spent the first few days here learning the positioning of the exercises and correcting my posture. As I'm internalizing those things, I've been able to execute the exercises better.

Tomorrow is a regeneration day followed by a much needed off day on Sunday.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hey Ben,
I enjoyed reading about your training experiences. Good luck with the throwing progression. Sounds like you are in good hands.
Steve Frantz