Friday, August 17, 2007

The First Goodbye

Although I train beside famous athletes, I am certainly not one of them. Famous athletes earn millions of dollars and must greet admirers wherever they go. But I do have one thing in common with them; like retiring athletes, I have a farewell tour. Only this one is virtual.

The tour started today, the final day of the interns. The interns do the majority of the menial task (towel duty, anyone?) and train most high school and collegiate athletes. Their unpaid internship ended yesterday. My trainers Joe and John are embarking on careers in athletic training. Joe will be a graduate assistant at Springfield (MA) College, assisting varsity athletes. John will have a similar role at Southern Illinois University. Next week I'll be trained by two members of the full-time staff.

I try to throw every day here and I've played catch with many different people (a rising freshman baseball player at La Salle, a high school pitcher in Nevada, a high school infielder in Texas and Joe, the former Gettysburg College captain). Koren offered to throw with me yesterday and I took him up on his offer today. His mechanics were erratic, but he became more consistent as we progressed. He told me that he was a high school outfielder/pitcher in North Carolina and was offered baseball scholarships at Kentucky and Elon, but rejected them for a football scholarship at NC State. His coach at NC State didn't allow him to walk-on the baseball team. He made the right choice in picking football.

The farewell tour continues tomorrow, my final Saturday at AP. Can't wait for regeneration.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

No comments: