Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Maintaining focus

As I march towards the end of my experience (3 more days, but who's counting?), one of the hardest things for me is maintaining focus. Executing every rep, every set and every exercise requires the utmost focus. Today, that focus was hard to maintain. I don't have a good excuse, but today I didn't have it consistently. Performing optimally is more than maxing out on bench press, it requires mental focus and a proper emotional state. My goal is to always be on top of my game physically, mentally and emotionally.

Masa created a new PM lifting workout for me and a few of my new companions, Charles & Chase. The brothers went to a local high school and Charles was a top recruit of a Pac-10 school last year. Charles threw 90 in high school and his brother, a rising senior, "only" throws 87. Masa's new workout applied old strategies (e.g. core stability, hip rotation, etc) to new exercises. The new twist made it easier to stay concentrated.

Jeremy scraped me again for the first time in 2 weeks. The pain is unimaginable, but the result (throwing long-toss again in minimal pain) makes every scraping worth it.

Tomorrow is my last regeneration day (and my final massage). I'm also looking forward to seeing how much progress I've made in my exit evaluation and the personalized nutrition and fitness plans the staff will provide me.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Ben -
Do you have a "jeremy" who will torture-scrape you when you return back to the East Coast? Or will it be still be needed once you graduate from AP?