Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making strides, starting over

Today was a day of achievement, but also one that made me rethink something fundamental.

In the morning, we performed another movement workout geared towards linear speed. For weeks, I've been spinning my wheels when it comes to acceleration. The staff wants me to use my legs like pistons to propel myself forward. Instead, I've been "cycling": kicking my foot backwards and then spinning forward in a circular motion similar to one's foot on a bicycle pedal. Today, I made a big improvement in that leg motion. I still haven't perfected the technique, but I felt the difference today for the first time.

In my physical therapy session, Scott changed my throwing mechanics. First, he suggested that when I am pitching, I land with my left foot pointing at the catcher instead of rotating that foot as my hips turn. Also, he recommended that I increase my arm angle by throwing with my hand farther away from my body and that I pronate my wrist as I release the ball. I tried these changes today and felt less pain that usual. I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner.

Koren beat me in another game of Madden but I took him in ping-pong so I have something bragging rights. Koren looked like a tennis player today; he wore a pair of white shorts, a white sleeveless t-shirt and a backwards Atlanta Braves hat, entirely in white. I'm no Stacey London, but that outfit looked ridiculous.

Tomorrow is the last day for the interns, including two who train me every day, Joe and John.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

No comments: