Wednesday, August 1, 2007

R & R, Athletes' Performance Style

I mentioned yesterday that Wednesdays are special here. That's because Wednesdays (and Saturdays) are designated "regeneration" days.

After a quick bike warmup (where I was sandwiched between Brady Quinn and Larry Johnson), we relieved some tension in our muscles. The tool of choice was a foam roll, a cylindrical piece of styrofoam, which we rolled over various muscles to work out knots. For those who want to relief achy muscles on a budget, I definitely recommend a foam roll.

For those who aren't on a budget, I recommend a one-hour deep tissue massage. And that's exactly what I had (after a brief hot/cold plunge). We get one every week here and it's something I'm going to try to maintain when I get home. It's a bit painful when the masseuse is leaning on your back, but it relieved a lot of tension and hopefully will help improve my posture.

The folks at AP arranged for me to hit 150 balls off a tee at nearby Packard Stadium, home of the Arizona State Sun Devil baseball team. The facility is amazing and the players and coaches generous. I hope to post some pictures tomorrow; the complex is on par with McKethan Stadium at the University of Florida. I'm going to hit at Packard Stadium Monday through Friday for the rest of my stay.

Starting tomorrow, I'll have my first consecutive workout days. We're making progress every day!

Thanks for reading,
Ben

1 comment:

Mark Hyman said...

Interestring update. Why isn't Brady Quinn in camp with the Browns?

Also, you haven't mentioned a throwing schedule. Can you fill us in?

-Dad