Monday, August 6, 2007

Week 2

I guess I broke my pledge about writing every day, but very little happened this weekend that relates to this blog. We had a brief (90 minute) regeneration session on Saturday, most of which was filled by a game of pickup basketball. Athletes' Performance is closed on Sunday.

Today was a reasonably normal day. Two of the four people in my workout group have left, so the trainer to client ratio is 1:1.

My biggest challenge now is core strength and awareness. I'm learning how to respond to a command from a trainer (tighten your shoulders while lifting your pelvis) and execute it. I am able to do nearly everything the trainers ask, but I'm not always able to do it the way they want. For example, while doing RDLs I lower the weight with my lower back instead of supporting it with my hamstrings. Achieving that goal will be an important benchmark to watch for the remaining three weeks.

I've mentioned before that NFL holdouts Brady Quinn and Larry Johnson have been working out here as they negotiate new contracts. We're expecting a third NFL player this week: receiver Koren Robinson. Robinson has played for Seattle, Minnesota and Green Bay before violating the NFL's substance abuse policy (and receiving a one-year suspension) last season. Robinson did not appear at AP today.

I threw again at 90 feet today. My arm is holding up OK and I'm getting a lot of attention from the physical therapists here.

Tonight, Athletes' Performance appears on ESPN's SportsCenter. Tomorrow, I have two more workouts.

Thanks for reading,
Ben

No comments: